SLEEPY HOLLOW WOODS
Property owners planning to make additions to the exterior of their home, construct fences, walls, or other buildings must submit detailed plans to the Architectural Control Committee. Names of current members are in Paragraph 9.
The following restrictions were recorded among the land records of Fairfax County, Virginia, on July 2, l959:
1. No lot shall be used except for residential purposes. No building shall be erected, altered, placed, or permitted to remain on any lot other than one detached single-family dwelling not to exceed two and one-half stories in height and a private garage for not more than two cars.
2. No building shall be erected, placed or altered on any lot until the construction plans and specifications and a plan showing the location of the structure have been approved by the Architectural Control Committee as to quality of workmanship and materials, harmony of external design with existing structures, and as to location with respect to topography and finish grade elevation. No fence or wall shall be erected, placed or altered on any lot nearer to any street than the minimum building setback line unless similarly approved. Approval shall be as provided in paragraph (l0) herein.
3. No dwelling shall be permitted on any lot at a cost of less than $l7,000 based upon cost levels prevailing on the date these covenants are recorded, it being the intention and purpose of the covenant to assure that all dwellings shall be of a quality of workmanship and materials substantially the same or better than that which can be produced on the date these covenants are recorded at the minimum cost stated herein for the minimum permitted dwelling size. The ground floor area of the main structure, exclusive of one-story open porches and garages, shall be not less than 900 square feet for a one-story dwelling, nor less than l,000 square feet for a dwelling of more than one story.
4. No building shall be located on any lot nearer to the front lot line or nearer to the side street line than the minimum building setback lines shown on the recorded plat. In any event no building shall be located on any lot nearer than 40 feet to the front lot line, or nearer than 10 feet to any side street line. No building shall be located nearer than 40 and 10 feet respectively to the street property lines of said streets. No building shall be located nearer than l0 feet to an interior lot line, except that no side yard shall be required for a garage or other permitted accessory building located 35 feet or more from the minimum building setback line. No dwelling shall be located on any interior lot nearer than 25 feet to the rear lot line. For the purposes of this covenant, eaves, steps, open carports, and open porches shall not be considered as a part of a building, provided, however, that this shall not be construed to permit any portion of a building on a lot to encroach upon another lot.
5. No dwelling shall be erected or placed on any lot having a width of less than 80 feet at the minimum building setback line nor shall any dwelling be erected or placed on any lot having an area of less than l0,500 square feet.
6. Easements for installation and maintenance of utilities and drainage facilities are reserved as shown on the recorded plat.
7. No noxious or offensive activity shall be carried on upon any lot, nor shall anything be done thereon which may be or may become an annoyance or nuisance to the neighborhood.
8. No structure of a temporary character, trailer, basement, tent, shack, garage, barn, or other out-building shall be used on any lot at any time as a residence, either temporarily or permanently.
9. The Architectural Control Committee is composed of Michael Brady, Paul Jaeckel, Wally Ochs, Hao Shen, Lou Wack Jr., and the First Vice President of the Sleepy Hollow Woods Civic Association. * A majority of the committee may designate a representative to act for it. In the event of death or resignation of any member of the committee, the remaining members shall have full authority to designate a successor. Neither the members of the committee, nor its designated representatives shall be entitled to any compensation for services performed pursuant to this covenant. At any time, the then record owners of a majority of the lots shall have the power through a duly recorded written instrument to change the membership of the committee or to withdraw from the committee or restore to it any of its powers and duties.
10. The committee's approval or disapproval as required in these covenants shall be in writing. In the event the committee, or its designated representative, fails to approve or disapprove within thirty (30) days after plans and specifications have been submitted to it, or in any event, if no suit to enjoin the construction has been commenced prior to the completion thereof, approval will not be required and the related covenants shall be deemed to have been fully complied with.
11. These covenants are to run with the land and shall be binding on all parties and all persons claiming under them for a period of twenty-five years from the date these covenants are recorded, after which time said covenants shall be automatically extended for successive periods of ten years unless an instrument signed by a majority of the then owners of the lots has been recorded, agreeing to change said covenants in whole or in part.
12. Enforcement shall be by proceedings at law or in equity against any person or persons violating or attempting to violate any covenant either to restrain violation or to recover damages.
13. Invalidation of any one of these covenants by judgment or court order shall in no wise affect any of the other provisions which shall remain in full force and effect.
*Composition of the Architectural Control Committee as of November 2009.